Golden Eagle

Golden Eagle
Nedra's Award Winning Golden Eagle

Friday, July 11, 2014

My Little Gourd Garden

Last season was my last year for growing gourds. With us being gone for six weeks in the summer & the 2014 growing season it will be more like 9 months that we will be traveling there is just no way to grow gourds. Not to mention that we will be selling our home in New Mexico & won't have any place to plant gourds.
Gourd plant in April

My small garden did really well in spite of the small area I use for gourds. My seeds are usually started indoors & by the middle of April I plant them in the ground. It didn't take long for them to start flowering.

My friend was watching the house while we were on the Oregon Coast for the summer & she kept telling me WOW you should see those crazy gourds. Well, I figured she was just amazed at how many gourds there were. When I got home I was shocked to find 30 ft vines crawling all over the yard which is rather small to begin with. 


Gourd plant in August
Since the dogs are constantly running around back there I had to move all the vines before I let them out of the motorhome when we returned from Oregon. I had to admit that considering they were VERY small when I left I was shocked to see how they had grown in the 2 1/2 months we were gone. And my egg gourds look more like grapefruits. I think I should have cut back on the fertilizer ;)

You can't see it but this is actually a raised bed planter that Al built & it is the smaller of the two raised bed planters that I have used for the gourds. The gourd vines are wrapped all around the outside of the planter just to keep them under control so the dogs don't run all over them.

Even though I was gone all summer it was a great year for gourds in spite of us being gone during the prime growing season.

I have been growing gourds & some veggies for the last 5 years mostly for personal use & this had been the best crop ever. It's kind of sad that I can't grow gourds & veggies any more but traveling & having some fun are more important than gardening at this point in my life. Most of my adult life has been going to school & working so now it's time to relax, or at least try!

No comments:

Post a Comment