Golden Eagle

Golden Eagle
Nedra's Award Winning Golden Eagle

Monday, November 17, 2014

New Woodburning Project

Due to my accident several years ago which resulted in a fractured wrist, it's been almost 4 years since I have been able to do any serious burning. 
Red-Tailed Hawk

Most of the burning I have done over the last 4 years is working on gourds that did not involve a lot of fine detail work. While my hand is never going to be what it was before the fracture I am able to get back into burning in moderation. No more 8 hr marathons for me anymore but something is better than nothing.

So, when we headed to Texas for the fall/winter I packed the 3 projects I started before the accident. I also took some practice wood so I could practice my technique. Since most of my work over the last few years has been pretty basic I thought I would need some practice but I quickly discovered it was like riding a bicycle. 

Rather than starting with my smaller projects I decided to start with the Red-Tailed Hawk that has been sitting around the longest. While in the past I might have been able to get this done in a few weeks I have no idea how long this will take but I'm determined to get it done....even if it takes months!

The inspiration to work on the hawk came to me last week at a birding festival we went to in Harlingen, TX. Sitting there in front of me was a beautiful red tailed hawk. Also there was an American Bald Eagle & a Kestrel Falcon...so I figure I will be burning some more birds of prey if my hand is up to the task.

The photo on the right is what I have done so far I will post another photo of him once I have finished it.

No comments:

Post a Comment